3Dermatology and Skin Allergies
Pet Allergies and How They Affect Your Pet
From itchiness to digestive issues and ear infections, allergic reactions can give your pet as much discomfort as they do with humans. A visit to Green Dog can help formulate a treatment plan to attack your pet’s allergy and improve their quality of life.
Common Signs of Dermatologic Conditions
- Licking paws/constant licking
- Scratching ears
- Irritated/reddened skin with severe itching
- Ear infection
- Hair loss
- Hair crusting
- Swollen paws
At Green Dog we use non-invasive methods such as surface skin tests (tape, cytology, scraping) and blood laboratory testing, to help diagnose the most common conditions. Then we can formulate an effective therapeutic plan for some of the most common diseases that affect your pet including:
- Fleas/Flea allergy dermatitis
- Environment allergies
- Food allergies
- Autoimmune conditions
- Infections (bacterial, fungal)
Allergy Testing And Treatments
If you suspect your pet might be suffering from allergies, we provide all of the latest treatments. We can help determine the cause and provide a treatment plan. We may analyze skin cytology and analyze your pet’s skin cells to rule out other pet dermatology conditions such as bacterial or fungal infections. Common allergens include food, pollens, mold spores, dust mites, and insect bites, with fleas being a common culprit.
To treat allergic reactions as well as other pet dermatology issues, we offer a range of treatment options to make your pet comfortable in their own skin again:
- Novel medications (Cytopoint, Apoquel)
- Specialty diets for food allergies that help determine what food is causing the reaction.
- Medicated shampoos and topicals to remove allergens from the hair and soothe irritated skin.
- In severe cases, we’ll refer your pet to a specialist to receive the best care.